Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Sound of Silence

I'm having a couple of weeks of country living while I'm between flats. This means that I'm also driving to work and hence there's not as much walking in my day. I hadn't realised how much I'd miss the 40 mins or so that I walk every day on the way to work and the reason I know I've been missing it is that I've found myself coming home of an evening and heading back out for a while.

Tonight was a great example: I had my application for the 10K to post and so I wandered along to the village postbox. Rather than walk straight back, I found myself wandering up to the top of the village and heading along a walk known locally as the Beeches. What started as a 5 min walk to post something became a 40 min walk enjoying the peace and solitude.

When you spend so much time living in the city it's possible to block out the regular background noise and accept it as normal. It's only when you come to the countryside where there really isn't any other noise that you realise how noisy it was before. I found myself tonight actually 'hearing' the silence. Weird?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home