Thursday, January 12, 2006

Getting the start right

Right, if I'm going to do this I'm going to have to be serious about it. After speaking to my sister, Allison, at the weekend, I've decided that I'm going to have to get the correct footwear and the correct plan.

Stopped in at Borders books in Glasgow last night on the way to the train and found a book called Bone Idol to Body Idol. It's a 100 day plan to improve fitness, both physical and mental. There's lots of cool stuff in there about dealing with stress, lack of sleep, lack of fitness, etc which are all things I need to tackle just now.

Darren's been in touch to confirm that we're definitely going to do this so there's no going back now. There's talk of doing before and after shots for the website and I'm thinking of a Demi Moore pregnant on Vanity Fair cover type of shot for the before. I've got hopes of flattening the stomach. Might happen?

The Nike website has a set of training plans which take you to running 5K in 6 weeks and 10K by week 11. The 5K plan starts off as a 4 day/week commitment with week 1 involving 20mins of walk for 1min followed by jog of 1 min. It's achievable and that's the most important thing. There's nothing about the plan that looks daunting just now. I'm planning on starting on Monday.

Had some time to kill tonight before the train so popped into John Lewis in Glasgow and visited the sports dept. The guy was really helpful, explaining the whole running shoe technology and pointing me in the direction of the correct fit. Ended up with the Asis GT 2110 with extra gel padding and a thermo plastic frame that holds the foot in the correct position.

So there we go, we've got the plan, the shoe and the book. Unlike Mr Stenhouse, we're not going for the flash clothing, but it's early days, it may still come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home