Wednesday, May 05, 2004

West Wing

A few years back I visited my friends Paul and Melinda Hailey while they still lived in England. On the Sunday evening we sat in their house chilling out after the fun of the weekend and watching whatever was on the TV. Melinda was adamant that we should watch the West Wing since she is American and so is it. At the time it was mid way through Season 2 and while I had heard of it and heard it was good, I had yet to watch it.

I was amazed by this programme that was laid before my eyes. The characters were engaging, the writing like nothing I had seen on British TV for a long time and, with Melindas help, the background of the plot line was easily understood. That was all it took to get me hooked. From then until the end of the season I watched the programme religiously on a Sunday night and found myself being drawn further and further into it. When the season finale aired I was left desperately wanting to know what happened next and also what had happened in the programmes before I used to watch it.

Believe it or not, it actually took until recently to see programme 1, series 3 due to the fact I was out of the country or something when it aired on C4. It's also the case that I didn't see all of that season for various reasons. This has been rectified by the purchasing of Seasons 1,2 and 3 on DVD.

Now as it turns out my friend, Thomas, has become a fan of the programme after I lent him the DVDs of Seasons 1 and 2. Like me he has been desperately awaiting the release of Season 3 and had the same excitement about getting his hands on my copy. We both love the programme for similar reasons but we disagree about the season finale. This disagreement brought about two interesting emails which I include for historical purposes. We'll no doubt come back to the West Wing in future blogs. We'll also talk about other series that have won my heart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home